A question about a recipe: Asparagus & Green Garlic Soup w/ Parmesan Croutons

6e1aaea4 66cb 4098 81e5 5e23e0092e0f  img 0671

I have a question about the recipe "Asparagus & Green Garlic Soup w/ Parmesan Croutons" from coffeefoodwritergirl. What is Green Garlic? An immature garlic? Where can you find it?

asked by Deb Newell over 6 years ago

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

It's young garlic, and it's something that will appear in the farmers markets sometime soonish, warm weather permitting! here's a bit more about it : http://well.blogs.nytimes...

Crazed Cook

Depending on where you live, it may be hard to find – so grow your own! Plant cloves of garlic pointy side up and when they look like scallions – voilà, green garlic! You can do this in containers or the ground. This might help. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Exotic-Herbs-Spices-and-Salts-639/green-garlic.aspx

krusher

Was does your friend and mine, Patrice Newell, say? www.patricenewell.com.au - she grows the most amazing organic garlic. I bought a whole box and have been busily preserving it in oil to last me through the winter. I note she quoted one of your recipes in her last newletter. She has just closed now because the garlic season here has drawn to a close. It is a small world after all ... to quote the late Mr Sherman.