🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Short Ribs with Beer and Buckwheat Honey

0a6db66d 59ca 4b57 9a37 d571c107dd63  010411f 517

I have a question about the recipe "Short Ribs with Beer and Buckwheat Honey" from merrill.
Can't find buckwheat honey. What honey would be similar?

asked by oregon cassie over 5 years ago

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Buckwheat honey has a pretty strong, earthy taste kind of like buckwheat itself. I would probably go with one of the darker honeys if you have a selection where you are. Maybe serve kasha (plain or with butterfly noodles) on the side to make up that flavor.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

As creamtea wrote, buckwheat honey has a unique flavor that's hard to replicate. This recipe will work fine with any kind of honey, but in order to get some of that rich, earthy taste I'd maybe use half honey and half blackstrap molasses if you can't find the buckwheat variety.