🔕 🔔

Can I replace buttermilk with expired regular milk ?

asked by Christena over 5 years ago

No!!!!!

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Depending on what you're making, you definitely can! There is an excellent Cook's Illustrated pancake recipe that calls for either buttermilk OR whole milk with lemon juice added. I rarely have the buttermilk and I've never noticed a difference. Here's a really great guide to buttermilk replacements :

http://joythebaker.com...

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

When you say 'expired regular milk,' chances are that the milk is still not spoiled, and Miranda's lemon juice gives a decent sub for buttermilk. Most commercial milk will not sour naturally -- it just goes off/bad into a form that I think is useless and should just be dumped.
Dairy products with expiration dates are not like Cinderella's coach -- at the stroke of midnight the milk is pretty much the same as it was one minute before. The change is gradual and depends on production and storage conditions. The dates can be taken as a heads up to check and use common sense and your senses -- smell, taste, visual cues -- to know whether it's still usable. The artificial souring (eg lemon juice) is a good way to use it up.

Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Oooooook So I definitely mis-read. I still stand by my answer, but I thought that it was the buttermilk that had expired. So I would say that if it's only just barely expired you can still use it, again depending on what you're making, granted it passes the sniff-test (no funky odor). Even with all of that said, expired milk does not buttermilk make. You would still have to add lemon juice. If the milk smells sour or off at all, I would just dump it. Sorry for the confusion!

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

By expired do you mean the "Pull Date" has past? If so, give it a whiff or a little taste, if its funky in any way, then its a no-go. But if it smells alright and tastes okay. I see no reason not to use it. If you need buttermilk, a solution of one cup of regular milk to a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar is suitable. Just allow it to sit on the counter for five minutes before use.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I keep powdered buttermilk on hand. It's great for baking. No so much for making the Riccotta recipe here (g).

Look for it in the baking section at the supermarket, it's a small paper tub.