🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: My Girls' Best Test Kitchen Sugar Cookies

29935b11 6dd0 4105 ba75 14ac109c9b90  2016 1129 my girls favorite cookie james ransom 393

I have a question about the recipe "My Girls' Best Test Kitchen Sugar Cookies" from thirschfeld.

If I use all butter instead of butter/shortening how will it affect the texture of the cookie? Will it be flatter? crisper? Should I change oven temp or time? I want to maintain chewiness.

asked by emf224 about 6 years ago

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

If you go full butter, your cookies will flatten/spread (potentially quite a bit). If you really, really want to do this, you will need to compensate in other parts of the recipe, such as adding a bit more flour or even switching to cake flour. I haven't read this recipe, but if it doesn't already have you putting the cookies in the fridge for an hour before baking (not the mass of dough, but the ready-to-go-in-the-oven cookies on the cookie pan) that can also help reduce spread.