sauce is too sweet

what do I add to sauce to take away some of the sweetness and give it some kick?

asked by G. Archer about 6 years ago

Add something tart like vinegar or lemon juice. A vinegar based hot sauce or some cayenne for kick. You may also need to add more salt.

bigpan

You can consider tossing half the sauce and re-adding more of the non-sweet ingredients. A bit of acid also helps, and some heat if you want. Unless it was originally intended to be a hot sauce, I would concentrate on the other ingredients rather than changing it to a hot sauce.

chef of the future 2000

If you haven't put it on the food yet then I would toss and try again.