A question about a recipe: Salmon Papillotes with Red Peppercorns, Lime and Fresh Ginger

Da1056b3 acdb 4038 8996 3ba56e51ca5f  010519f 482

I have a question about the recipe "Salmon Papillotes with Red Peppercorns, Lime and Fresh Ginger" from Babette's Feast. My husband is on Coumadin and cannot have ginger. What would you recommend for a substitution?

asked by jackie0401 over 6 years ago

I think you should check with your husband's doctor about using a little fresh ginger as a flavoring. I think when you read about the interaction of ginger and coumadin, they're talking about ginger as a supplement, which would be in a much higher amount than a little fresh ginger grated over a piece of fish. That said, you could just leave the ginger out--the dish is delicious either way.

Never made this dish, but it sounds good!

However, my father was on coumadin for 20+ years and I often cooked for him. My understanding is the same as drbabs re: supplements or teas. Vitamin K (found in ginger, but also spinach, broccoli, cabbage, etc.) can amplify the effect of anticoagulants, but is okay in small amounts. But definitely ask your husband's doc if it's okay for him.

cranberry

same here - my dad was also on coumadin for nearly 20 years and it was no problem to have ginger and lots of other no-nos in small amounts. An option is to make sure to use it regularly and at his next blood draw the coumadin would be adjusted for his typical diet, which is what happened for my dad with broccoli and cabbage as he ate them often.

Lemongrass? Tarragon?

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Would galangal also react with your husband's medication? (Found at Asian grocers, especially those that focus on SE Asian ingredients)

Ginger would add heat and aromatic - galangal probably best approximates it. If that doesn't work (or isn't worth the effort to track down) you could either leave out entirely or add different aromatics - lemongrass as suggested above, chillies, kaffir lime leaves, etc.