🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: spring risotto of asparagus, peas & ramps

16f30757 66a7 405d a564 f0929c5e0932  img 0319

I have a question about the recipe "spring risotto of asparagus, peas & ramps" from gourmettenyc. I'm having a party this weekend for about 20 people - is risotto ever possible for that many? i would love to be able to make this recipe.

asked by slicknik25 over 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You could do it for that many people if you have a large enough pot. I'd consider changing it to a farro "risotto" (unless there are gluten issues) so you could make it ahead to the point of adding the veggies, then finish it at mealtime. If you use rice it doesn't hold as well, and you should read through the cooking pointers in this thread: http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Thanks this is great. Is it just as simple as replacing farro with arborio rice? I've had trouble in the past with farro where sometimes it'll cook fast (20-30 min) and other times it takes over an hour.

I'd use Merrill's instructions for cooking the farro risotto. Her recipe calls for 5 cups broth to 1 cup farro, while the spring risotto recipe uses 3 cups broth to 1 cup rice. http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I'd do a trial run of the recipe, to make sure the farro cooks as expected, and get a handle on how much it makes so you can scale appropriately for the party.