A question about a recipe: Soy Saucy Chicken and Eggs

C395ccb8 f6ad 4408 8082 d0e1f2542c50  food52 03 20 2012 5200

I have a question about the recipe "Soy Saucy Chicken and Eggs" from monkeymom. There's no oil listed in the recipe. Is that a typo? Are you supposed to brown the chicken, garlic and ginger oil-less?

asked by LTB over 6 years ago

The chicken thighs with skins have a lot of fat in them. Notice in the recipe monkeymom takes off the skin on some of the thighs. When I brown a whole chicken over high heat before a french roast method, I use at most a tbsp. of oil, and most of the time nothing.

monkeymom

Hi LTB. SKK is correct that the chicken thighs will release some oil. You can add a little oil to start things off or add the chicken first to release the oil. After all the cooking I usually have to skim off the fat from the chicken so I always am hesitant to add more in the beginning. But, either way works fine.