A question about a recipe: Muhammara

205f78a5 6739 4704 802f b152cffedafc  muhammara

I have a question about the recipe "Muhammara" from Rivka.
Where can I find pomegranate molasses and is there any substitute you would recommend if I can't locate it?

asked by AKesling over 6 years ago

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

If you have a Middle Eastern market near you they'll definitely have it. You can also try a specialty grocery store, and Amazon sells it (pricey to ship, but delicious, and you don't need much in dishes so it lasts a while).

Absent that, I'd suggest tamarind paste/sauce - as it also has a similar consistency and tart quality.

Rick Camp

Can you reduce fresh pomegranate juice to a syrup consistency and achieve the same flavors?

Absolutely!

Rivka

You can also use date honey with a squeeze of lemon juice.

AKesling

Thank you very much!