🔕 🔔

Mud Pie Recipe?

I grew up in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, and adored the treat from the German bakeries known locally as mud pies. It was a flatish, round pastry with a chocolate pastry cream swirled in. I don't think it was a choux paste kind of thing, because as a child, I hated eclairs, but loved the mud pies. Any thoughts? If anyone on this wonderful forum is from Sheboygan, these were sold out the back door of Johnson's bakery at 2am. (In Sheboyganese, the phrase was.."We're going down by Johnsons and buying some bakery...")

asked by Melusine over 5 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I am familiar with Mississippi Mud Pies, but I don't think that resembles what you are describing.

Sorry, I'm English... But based on relatively extensive cake eating in Europe (dont get me wrong... I still have a lot more "research" to do!!) could I hazard a guess at a couple of possibilities? it might have been a brioche type bread with chocolate cream, or a Danish pastry (puff pastry type) - I think they'd be your best bets with where to start. Either way, you'd have something very tasty... I'm going to saunter off and have a go at a brioche topped with blobs of choc pastry cream... You've got me inspired!

Have you considered contacting the bakery? I'm sure they'd help! They might not be able to give you the recipe, but there'll probably be someone who can tell you what was in them, and they'll probably enjoy the trip down memory lane!

Hmmmm...I think the brioche type bread comes closest, at least in my hazy memories. I know it wasn't Danish or puff pastry, since they weren't at all flaky. And yep - calling the company might work, too. For the 834th time..I love this forum. Thank you --

They still have them. And the bakery is still there. The breading is very soft like the breading of a Krispy Kreme doughnut, and the swirled like a cinnamon roll. Light cinnamon sprinkled in between the dough as it's rolled up. Then it's topped with a chocolate frosting that's not bland nor too sweet. It's the perfect pastry in my opinion. My grandfather still lives there they won't give the recipe, but he said he can over night some to me. They know my grandfather well so that might just be a special circumstances.

8ffe57b9 33e5 4fb6 9a53 046bc5f34d28  5308932961

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Johnston Bakery in Sheboygan has a website johnstonsbakery.com
Is this the bakery you are referring to?