2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Orange Cardamom Fig Newtons

974728af b1c2 462b 8b2c 77fe90c6403b  img 1177

I have a question about the recipe "Orange Cardamom Fig Newtons" from vrunka. If I use dried figs for this recipe (I will soak first), should I use the same quantity as listed for fresh? (1 lb)? Thanks!

asked by LaurenAH over 4 years ago
Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

Even soaking them first, you aren't going to recoup the weight of water difference between fresh and dried figs. I think you would be closer to recreating the same amount of figginess by number than by weight in this case. I'd say about 12 fresh figs makes a pound, so sub in 12 dried ones and tip in small amounts of water till the consistency seems right.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.