🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Puffs

5df861bc 1d36 4fed 8f15 7737f7738adb  img 6793

I have a question about the recipe "Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Puffs" from fiveandspice. Can I make this dough the night before and refrigerate it?

asked by Brette Warshaw over 4 years ago
19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

I will tell you no. Although, i am not a baker by trade ;) baking soda needs moisture, an acid to become active, and I believe baking powder is actually just baking soda with added acidity to it. If you mix up the batter and let it sit over night, the baking powder will not do its job and it will not puff up your batter when you cook it.

the same principal with pancakes, muffins, etc... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

If it were baking soda - definitely not, as it's activated on contact with liquid/acid. Given it's baking powder and thus double acting, the second leavening effect happens when the good is baked. Thus - you hypothetically could but your product isn't going to be nearly as good. For the couple of minutes you save I'd say it's not worth it.

For best results but still enable you to make a bit ahead: brown the butter, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and measure out the rest. The next day, cream butter+sugar +egg and fold in the dry ingredients and then proceed.

My baking powder is not double acting. I would prefer (if I needed to get a head start on morning) to mix the dry ingredients and wet ones separately and refrigerate them that way to be combined and baked off just before service.

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Hi Brette! Somehow I didn't get notified that you asked this question. So, I'm late with an answer, and hopefully you already made them and they turned out alright, but if you're still wondering, I would definitely agree with Sarah R's advice. If you'd like to assemble pieces ahead, mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and all the wet in the other, and then blend them together the morning of. You can also make them the day before and they reheat pretty nicely in the oven.