🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sorbet

3e23144f 1c76 42c5 80a8 244a56235334  food52 01 15 13 5233

I have a question about the recipe "David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sorbet" from Genius Recipes. Could you use a scraped vanilla bean in this?

asked by Stash almost 6 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

No reason you couldn't. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a scraped bean however. I'm not sure finding little crunchy bits in the sorbet would be optimal. Or do you mean a bean devoid of seeds because they were used previously for another purpose?

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

To get mileage out of a vanilla bean it really needs to steep: the flavour in vanilla is in the pod, not the seeds themselves.

I think you'd end up with less of a vanilla accent with a bean, but if it's all you have on hand, steep the pod in hot water for 20 minutes or so, then add the sugar/cocoa powder/salt & proceed.

Given the option, I'd stick with extract. Also agree with ChefOno that the seeds may be off-putting for a smooth gelato.