A question about a recipe: Vidalia Onion Conserve

E533c5c3 1583 4e87 8f1e d463ef1fc82c  imag0925

I have a question about the recipe "Vidalia Onion Conserve" from drbabs. Is this recipe suitable for canning?

asked by MommyJones almost 6 years ago

I'm sorry to tell you that I have no idea. I've never canned anything. Maybe one of the canners will weigh in?

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

It looks to me like it's acid enough to be safe to water-bath can, but it would probably be better if a Master Food Preserver weighed in on the issue.

SeaJambon

Thanks drbabs for your candor. MommyJones -- best bet for preservation is freezing. You really need a "tested" recipe (like those in the Ball cookbook) that tells you just how long to process and in what manner (water bath or pressure canning) to be sure. Onions are not sufficiently acid by themselves to be anywhere near "safe" -- and the consequence for being wrong can be huge (botulism). For more information on canning safety (what to can; what to freeze; what to dehydrate and so on) I recommend http://nchfp.uga.edu/ (National Center for Home Food Preservation). Short answer -- if you can this, make sure you keep it in the fridge and use quickly. Freezing should be safe for lengthy preservation.

SeaJambon

Diana B - your message came in while I was typing above. There really isn't much acid (lemon juice; orange; salt is for flavor, not acidification) and onions are on the wrong end of the ph scale. FWIW: the ink on my Master Food Preserver certificate is barely dry, but it is real.