A question about a recipe: Avocado Crab Rolls

Ee549a6e 4299 4f01 823f df96c61ec2f1  food52 07 03 12 6792

I have a question about the recipe "Avocado Crab Rolls" from meganvt01. I rarely use mayo.....can you give me some names of good quality ones?

asked by LauriL almost 6 years ago

It's always been Hellman's (East Coast US brand name) / Best Foods (West Coast US brand name) for me. Not sure why the 2 different brand names for the same stuff, but it's really the best one for me and I've tried them all at some point.

meganvt01

I agree with HalfPint - we did a mayo taste test in my old job and Hellman's was the clear winner. Also a good one is Duke's in the southern states.

mainecook61

Bring out the Hellman's and bring out the best . . .

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

We did a blind taste test between Best Foods/Hellmann's regular and their Light version...the Light was the winner!
Just 35 calories/tablespoon and <5g cholesterol (so it actually says 0% cholesterol on the Nutrition Facts.
(no, this is not an ad -- just adding to the input here!)

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

adding to post above...I also meant to include that there is less than 5gr of cholesterol per tablespoon, so little that it can say 0 gr. on the Nutrition Facts.

Hellman's used to be the best. But in the last few years they changed their recipe...adding more oil, a bit more sugar, and less eggs. It's just 'not the same' to me and that used to be my 'go to' mayo.

Duke's is much more true to form now.
Look at the list: http://www.dukesmayo.com...
while Heilman's lists sugar (it always now, but they've seem to have up it recently).
http://old.cbbqa.org/recipes...

Heilman's still uses lemon for the acid..which is what most people like.
Duke's uses Cider Vinegar. A
A minor point to be sure.

At a Japaneese Market the "Kewpie" brand is also very good...but quite unexpected taste if you like traditional mayo--more egg yokes, and rice vinegar and yes even some MSG (from natural seaweeds). Very rich Umami Taste tho.

BoulderGalinTokyo

Yes, Sam, love that Kewpie, once you try it, hard to go back. They have threads on it at

http://chowhound.chow.com...

Try Kewpie on French Fries. It's very close to Dutch Mayo they use on fries.

RobertaJ

Best Foods/Hellman's or homemade.

Simply no other options that I've tasted.

Shalini

I like the Hellmans made with olive oil, it comes with a green label. Delicious! Whole Foods 365 also does a nice one.

Ophelia

I used to use Best Foods, but I now prefer the "real mayonnaise" from Trader Joe's. I like the flavor better.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Make your own: http://wellpreserved.ca...