🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: IPA-Battered Fish and Chips

Fe9ce49f 26ee 470c 84ca bd368a9dd6e5  fishandchipsfinished

I have a question about the recipe "IPA-Battered Fish and Chips" from Laura Davis. What types of fish other than cod can be used for this recipe? Thanks, everyone. ;o)

asked about 5 years ago

halibut
catfish
tilapia
snapper
orange roughy
mahi mahi
grouper

Pollack is a good alternative. So is whiting. Orange roughy is currently on the endangered list, as are many of the snappers, so I hope you wouldn't use those. And everyone around here knows how I feel about tilapia. If you're intent on using it, please be sure it doesn't come from Asia.

Thanks, HalfPint. What about pollack? We can get sustainably harvested Alaska pollack quite easily -- and in most instances, it's at a lower cost than many of the items on your list. Thanks again. ;o)

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Sorry for this bizarre glitch -- I didn't actually ask this question; it looks like AntoniaJames did. Our developers are looking into this as we speak. Please let us know if you see other examples of this at [email protected]

Thank you!

Pollack will work, it's in the cod family.

Thanks, HalfPint. Did not know that pollack is a cod. Very helpful. I love the Hotline! ;o)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

In Great Britain, the most popular fish for fish and chips were traditionally cod, haddock, and plaice. Cod and haddock are close relatives (as is the pollock, as mentioned above), while the plaice is a flatfish, very different, but firm and white. Except for something really delicate, I think you can feel comfortable with a pretty broad range of species. I've even seen salmon, though I confess I think there a a heck of a lot better ways to eat salmon.

Fc0b5015 cd44 43bc bdd8 43fa76bb0a7f  avalonpic

I've used grouper, haddock, pollack, even tilapia.