🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Ima's Challah

21630aaa 671f 410a 94a5 10a3252c54c8  092711 food52 259

I have a question about the recipe "Ima's Challah" from Rivka. Does this recipe want "instant" yeast or just active dry? I ask because it clearly says "instant" but then asks for proofing the yeast...which I thought you didn't need to do with instant yeast. I would much prefer to use active dry yeast since that's what I already keep in stock. I'm really excited about this recipe in any case!

asked by Quinciferous about 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

They're interchangeable...Still it's best to proof it so not only does it blend better and gets a 'head start' you know the yest your using is actually active and alive.

Salt change the character of yeast and it's activity..so again it's best give it a head start without salt and 'proof' it's alive. You're dry yeast should be fine..but do go through the proofing process to help the mix. Sometimes, 'instant' yeast has some additive to prolong shelf life..but that's another story.
Treat them same--you'll be fine.

4d625ded d965 42c7 b1ee ec9d7dc7fb4e  profilepic

Eek! I use active dry. I think I called it instant to contrast it from fresh yeast, which I guess is actually quite rare in the states. Sorry for the confusion - active dry is great.

Thanks so much! I am really looking forward to making this challah. Yes, the only time i've been able to use fresh cake yeast was in a baking class through a culinary school -- it's hard to get for the home baker. I'm glad to know my yeast will do the trick!

Rivka, I made the challah two nights ago, and it is great! Because of my odd flour collection, I used 1 C regular whole wheat, 2 C bread flour, and 3 C AP flour. It worked marvelously. I overproofed them a little but they still turned out golden, gorgeous and delicious. Thank you for a very straightforward and forgiving recipe!

So glad to hear it worked out!