🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

162c7186 9470 4829 840d 065c7be7bb1c  2017 0201 crispy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies james ransom 090

I have a question about the recipe "Crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies" from merrill. If I want to make the cookies chewy as opposed to crispy, what would you suggest?

asked by ATG117 about 5 years ago

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

The easiest way is to slightly undercook them. If that doesn't work, add a slight bit more brown sugar.

Another way is to replace a bit of the brown sugar with some Karo syrup, perhaps 1 or tablespoons of the former for the same of the latter.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Use a lower protein softer flour. Either white lilly, or Martha White...if southern blend of soft AP flour isn't available..use 1/2 USDA AP flour and 1/2 cake flour. And as mentioned under cook them a bit and use karo syrup. Don't over mix the cookie dough as it makes tougher protein strands.

And I'll admit I haven't tried but maybe a 1/2 tsp of unflavored gelatine bloomed in the milk mixture would hold moisture without throwing the recipe off--as some recipes for chewy oatmeal cookies call for jello mix in the dough. (which never appealed to me...strawberry oat meal cookie; I'll pass).
Or maybe take out of couple of tablespoons of milk and add egg whites.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I like chewy too; for all the sugars I would use all DARK brown sugar and no white sugar (the cookies will be darker, or follow the karo syrup idea mentioned) and replace 1/2 cup of the butter (1 stick) with 1/3 cup veg oil. An extra egg white sounds good too.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

From CI: If you want chewy cookies, add melted butter. Butter is 20 percent water. Melting helps water in butter mix with flour to form gluten.