🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Anna Klinger's Grilled Swiss Chard Stems with Anchovy Vinaigrette

9c058707 aaa2 429c a8ed 45b37f3a1ff3  food52 09 18 12 5681

I have a question about the recipe "Anna Klinger's Grilled Swiss Chard Stems with Anchovy Vinaigrette" from Genius Recipes. If I can't find the salt-packed anchovies, do you still recommend soaking the oil-in-tin ones? Please don't hurry an answer. I wanted something between "quickly" and "I'll check site periodically". Thank you.

asked by MaureenOnTheCape almost 5 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

I asked Anna about this and she recommended just rinsing the oil-packed ones well -- you'll want to adjust the final dressing to your taste anyway, and the soaking is just there to reduce the saltiness of the salt-packed kind. In fact, I tried soaking the oil-packed ones in milk overnight and they basically disintegrated. Do not recommend!

Lactic acid in milk softens proteins so that's why the fish disintegrated. But a quick soak of about 30 minutes should fine and de-salt the anchovies.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

If you can't find salt packed anchovies, please avoid the tinned ones (typically from Morocco) altogether. That's why so many people hate (or think they hate) anchovies. A perfectly good substitute would be to buy the jarred style from Italy or Spain. A quick rinse is all they need. I did a house made caesar tonight using that method. I refer to the tinned kind as "pizza anchovies". Yuck!

2c8043e3 d82a 4710 b88e aca9cbe66271  justsomecook

Rinse them off under a faucet for a minute, just to get the excess salt off the exterior, then continue with recipe as written.