I made torchon fois gras And wondering if u can freeze some if I want it to stay longer ?

asked by Hani over 5 years ago

queso

Hell yeah! Freeze it, and you can microplane or grate it over anything that could use a little foie boost. There's a recipe in the Momofuku cookbook that uses this technique.

Pamela731

What is torchon fois gras. I love fois gras every way I've had it; however not heard of this.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

It's a preparation very similar to a terrine / mousse / pate made of foie gras. Sometimes dried fruit or nuts are mixed in as you might a terrine. It is then set in a mould or cling film (traditionally it was wrapped in a dish towel) to set. Serve by slicing it, on toast or similar

Here's Ruhlman's take on it, though I've not tried this particular recipe
http://ruhlman.com/2011...

Yes you can. I have done it, even though I was warned against it. Left it frozen for about a month, and it defrosted with no apparent decrease in quality.

Pamela731

If u don't mind, I'd like the recipe. Do you get the fois gras from Hudson Valley? Or where? Its not easy to acquire in Pittsburgh and is quite expensive; so I want to be comfortable with where I purchase it.

You can purchase it direct from the Hudson Valley Foie Gras web site. Saves middle man charges...