A question about a recipe: Beurre & Sel's Port Jammer Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Beurre & Sel's Port Jammer Cookies" from doriegreenspan. Do you suggest using natural or dutch-processed chocolate?

86b8da81 b3d1 4fcf 97ff e803298a8a8b  port jammers3
Recipe question for: Beurre & Sel's Port Jammer Cookies

SeaJambon
SeaJambon October 16, 2012

Natural. Even though it is frequently darker in color, the "dutch processing" (or, actually, the alkali used in the processing) removes chocolate flavor. Especially something from Dorie -- you'll want all the wonderful chocolate flavor you can get. :)

Dorie Greenspan
Dorie Greenspan October 17, 2012

Maddogoday and SeaJambon, I use Valrhona cocoa, but at Food 52 we used a lighter cocoa and, in both cases the streusel had good flavor. Thanks for being so interested ... and so smart :)

ATG117
ATG117 October 19, 2012

I believe Valrhona is technical dutch processed, is it not?

SeaJambon
SeaJambon October 19, 2012

Great question on Valrhona -- don't know. Recently learned, however, that if you are using Dutch processed cocoa you should also be using baking soda; natural requires baking powder (soda to powder ratio: 1 part bkg soda = 3 parts bkg pwder). In this particular recipe, there isn't a leavening component in the streusal which is where the cocoa is used, so either type of cocoa should work fine without needing to further adjust the recipe. Personally, I lean toward natural simply because I like all the chocolate flavor I can get!

ChefOno
ChefOno October 19, 2012

Like most European cocoa, Valrhona is alkalized. While it's true the process lessens the intensity of chocolate flavor, it's probably more correct to say it changes the flavor profile, reducing astringency and bitterness while adding complexity. Personal preference really. Just to confuse the issue, consider Hershey's Special Dark cocoa -- a blend of the two types.