A question about a recipe: Jean-Georges' Ginger Fried Rice

E1b57d40 06ed 4b63 871c c50dd1b0b2ff  8103741453 45efe8f946 z

I have a question about the recipe "Jean-Georges' Ginger Fried Rice" from Genius Recipes. Could you use the frozen rice in a bag sold at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? If so, would you even need to thaw it before using?

asked by SweetM almost 6 years ago

darksideofthespoon

I bet frozen rice would work quite well! I would thaw it before using it, but that's just me. I'm sure it would be fine if you didn't thaw!

darksideofthespoon

Additionally: I just read a comment under the article where AntoniaJames said she would cook rice and freeze it just for fried rice. Genius!

ATG117

Hate to disagree, but I would probably make the rice myself. Granted, the prepared rice would work. But in a simple dish like this, you really want the ingredients to shine, and I think there would be a perceptible difference between prepackaged frozen rice and rice you'd make at home.

I definetly think it would work. After thawing the amount needed continue with step 3. Let us know if it works.

healthierkitchen

I use frozen rice all the time for fried rice. I freeze my own or buy it. Trader Joes is fine tasting. I par-cook the rice and till it's no longer frozen but still cold, probably a minute or a minute and a half in the microwave.