🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Fresh Apple Shrub

C8c5ceed a4a6 4fa4 97ae 667758cdf8e8  fresh apple shrub

I have a question about the recipe "Fresh Apple Shrub" from Marisa. I made this and it tastes very vinegary. Is that normal? Is there something I can add to take the edge off?

asked by Carmella Lion about 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Thought I've never made this recipe; it is a shrub which is basically a drinkable vinegar. Perhaps the apples you used weren't sweet enough to balance with the cider vinegar. Try it again with a different kind of apple

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Yeah, shrubs are supposed to be pretty vinegary, since they pretty much are vinegar, but if it's too acidic for you, you could add extra sugar/honey/maple syrup to taste, and also drink it more diluted. I often put just a couple dashes of shrub in a large glass of sparkling water.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Think of the finished shrub as a concentrate -- add liquid and sweetener to your taste. To me, about 2 tablespoons of the shrub with some still, some sparkling water and a few ice cubes in a 12 ounce glass is right for the ones that I've made. I like the tart taste!
The cider vinegar was used in traditional farmers' drinks in the summer months, for the electrolytes, when working hard out in strong hot sun. Switchel is another name for a traditional fruit/vinegar (usually) drink -- http://en.wikipedia.org....