A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Wash the turkey inside and out, pat it dry and weigh it. Measure 1 tablespoon of salt -- we used Diamond Crystal -- into a bowl for every 5 pounds the turkey weighs (for a 15-pound turkey, you'd have 3 tablespoons). You can flavor the salt with herbs and spices if you like -- try smoked paprika and orange zest, bay leaf and thyme, or rosemary and lemon zest. Grind together with the salt in a spice grinder, small food processor, or mortar and pestle." If using frozen turkey , how would you go about salting inside of turkey . Would you have to thaw turkey first ?Thanks

• 1 Comment

1 Comment

Kristen Miglore November 16, 2012

You should be able to salt the inside while it's frozen. If you have any trouble removing the giblets to do so, you could try running some water over the inside to free it first, then drain and salt away!