A question about a recipe: Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise

79d09d1b e8cc 451c 8ece 5ce799a08b81  food52 11 01 11 5791

I have a question about the recipe "Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise" from merrill. My syrup christalized as it was reducing, can it be saved or do I need to start over?

asked by atxdori over 5 years ago

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

Perhaps Merrill will weigh in with more encouraging words, but unfortunately once it's crystallized, I think you will need to start over.

Yes, sadly I would start again for best results.

atxdori

Thank you. Too bad, maple syrup isn't cheap! Maybe consider adding a note to the cooking instructions that says not to stir!

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Or perhaps add a bit of corn syrup to the mixture? That will stop crystallization (and it may even save what you have - worth a try; as you say, maple syrup's not cheap!).

ChefOno

While I have no experience with this particular recipe, in general crystallized syrups can be saved by either warming them until the crystals dissolve (like you would with crystallized honey) or by diluting with water and then re-reducing to the desired consistency. This same technique can be applied to syrups that are cooked beyond the desired temperature, say a candy cooked to the hard ball stage when the recipe called for soft ball.

SeaJambon

Also, a little bit of baking soda can help avoid crystalization...