A question about a recipe: Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise

I have a question about the recipe "Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise" from merrill. My syrup christalized as it was reducing, can it be saved or do I need to start over?

• Posted by: atxdori
  • November 21, 2012

SeaJambon November 21, 2012
Also, a little bit of baking soda can help avoid crystalization...

ChefOno November 21, 2012

While I have no experience with this particular recipe, in general crystallized syrups can be saved by either warming them until the crystals dissolve (like you would with crystallized honey) or by diluting with water and then re-reducing to the desired consistency. This same technique can be applied to syrups that are cooked beyond the desired temperature, say a candy cooked to the hard ball stage when the recipe called for soft ball.

Diana B. November 21, 2012
Or perhaps add a bit of corn syrup to the mixture? That will stop crystallization (and it may even save what you have - worth a try; as you say, maple syrup's not cheap!).

atxdori November 21, 2012
Thank you. Too bad, maple syrup isn't cheap! Maybe consider adding a note to the cooking instructions that says not to stir!

Merrill S. November 21, 2012
Yes, sadly I would start again for best results.

Lindsay-Jean H. November 21, 2012
Perhaps Merrill will weigh in with more encouraging words, but unfortunately once it's crystallized, I think you will need to start over.