🔕 🔔

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Best when baking to have everything at room temperature. Your eggs are probably too cold when added to creamed butter that is "warm" from the creaming

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I think @boulangere's answer is great. I have only this to add: if your eggs are Large or XL, leave them in that bowl of warm water for longer. If after 10 minutes your water feels cold, replace with more warm water. If I know I'm going to make a cake at 2pm, I pull out my eggs and butter by 8am, depending on the ambient temperature of my kitchen. Cold butter meeting cold eggs will "break" a batter, whether eggs are added all at once or one at a time. Butter and eggs want to form an emulsion, and from that, gain air, so that cake will rise. But eggs and butter and like water and oil. They will not dance together at the party unless they are both the same temperature. Happy cake making!