🔕 🔔

Can I use all butter to make hermits even though the recipe calls for 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening?

asked by bjenny about 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I don't know what hermits are, but I substitute butter for shortening all the time. Butter has more water content, so you may have to increase your cooking time slightly.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Yes, but it will likely affect the texture of the final product. Per Cook's Illustrated "cookies made with shortening spread less during baking than cookies made with butter".

Agreed with hardlikearmour -- and adding that taking out the shortening will make the hermits crunchier, rather than soft the way I think hermits are supposed to be...

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I have checked 2 sources for what should be traditional Hermit recipes. Both use only butter, not shortening. (Time-Life Foods of the World: American Cooking, New England, & Cooking with Wholegrains, Mildred Ellen Orton -- co-founder of the Vermont Country Store) Newman's makes a delicious Hermit, if you're not baking.