🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Slow Roast Duck

8653a98f 7c27 4d7e 8ac7 f11cb525fcf9  5337480747 a8cebf7000 o

I have a question about the recipe "Slow Roast Duck" from merrill. Suggestions for vegetarian side dishes? (Will be the first time we've all cooked a duck, so I'd like input on side dishes that will complement the flavor of the duck for everyone else, but I'm a vegetarian, so I want to be able to eat all of the side dishes!)

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked almost 5 years ago

Edfe409e 4744 406a 98e8 9c239638ad31  img 1965

So, I realize this may not (entirely) help you, but I recently made a duck breast and then cooked some latkes in the duck fat. They were AMAZING. Also I liked the combination of the potatoes and duck a lot. What about something potato-pancaky, like dinner hash browns or rosti? If you have two pans going, you could do one veggie and one with the duck drippings, which I bet the carnivores would love! I imagine the duck in this recipe gives off a fair amount of fat, that you could siphon off.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Duck is pretty rich so I would do a balance of green vegetables - roasted string beans with toasted almonds, steamed broccoli with a citrus sauce; a herb and greens salad with a citrus vinaigrette. Then made a mushroom dish; wild rice with dried fruit or roasted baby yukon gold potatoes

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

This would be delicious http://food52.com/recipes...

I also love the idea of a potato pancake, but if that seems to rich maybe a grain dish like Amanda's radish and mixed grain one (sub turnips which are in season now) or maybe an arugula salad to cut the richness.

We did an arugula salad with ours!! Great minds :)

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Applesauce is a great side, particularly with red cabbage and green beans almondine.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Thanks all for the lovely suggestions!

Since I no longer eat meats by preference I've done a lot of vegetarian side dishes as main courses. Saute yellow onion in olive oil til just starting to caramelize, add chopped zucchini & yellow bottle-neck squash. Cook til tender, add separately sauteed mushrooms right before serving and can be served over rice, pasta or other grains or by itself. Its very flavorful and easy. Add to potato pancakes or latkes, whipped sweet potatoes and you got a feast as well as the duck consumers.