When a cookie recipe asks for 1 or 2 eggs, can I use 1 or 2 medium eggs vs a large egg?

• Posted by: Reebzie
  • December 22, 2012

ATG117 December 23, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are using a boxed mix. I'd imagine it would be pretty forgiving in this instance.

boulangere December 22, 2012
Baking recipes are predicated on size large eggs, whether they always tell you that or not. One large eggs is equal to 1.66 fluid ounces, on average. Crack your smaller eggs into a liquid measuring cup to equal whatever volume of large eggs you need.

Reebzie December 22, 2012
I am baking a box of pillsbury chocolate peppermint cookies

Stephanie B. December 22, 2012
What type of cookies are they? It might have a larger effect with meringues or macaroons, but otherwise, you should be fine. The cookies may have a slightly different texture, but the difference will be slight.

Stephanie B. December 22, 2012
Usually if a recipe doesn't specify a size, it is assumed you are using large. Depending on what you are making, you can substitute 1 for 1, but I'd be careful about doing it for some baking recipes or souffles. It won't work with all sizes of eggs, but medium and large are close enough in most cases.