A question about a recipe: Hungarian Meatballs

I have a question about the recipe "Hungarian Meatballs" from Bogre. When you braise these meatballs in the oven,do you do it covered or uncovered?

7f3bba54 7e77 44bd 81a2 733a6a56c9fe  meatballs
Recipe question for: Hungarian Meatballs

Pegeen December 31, 2012

I haven't made them but would say "covered," since a lot of reduction has already taken place in previous steps but the meat is not yet cooked. About two-thirds of the way through the oven time, pull it out of the oven and take a look. If you think the liquid needs to evaporate more, go with your gut and slide the lid slightly off the pot - an inch or two - for the remainder of the cook time. They sound incredibly good!

Glen LaFortune
Glen LaFortune December 31, 2012

I actually did it uncovered (didn't get an answer soon enough :) ). With all the chicken broth, it still has a ton if liquid in the pot.

Only problem I've seen with the recipe is that it called for too much liquid in the meat mixture so the meatballs were a tad wet and a bit soft. You have to be a little gentle when stirring them. I did try one and it tasted phenomenal! Spicy. :)

Pegeen December 31, 2012

Good to know. Thanks very much for the info. I saved the recipe after reading your post because they sounded so delicious.

Pegeen December 31, 2012

p.s. You might want to add a comment with your experience to the recipe itself... the comments are often very helpful to read

Glen LaFortune
Glen LaFortune December 31, 2012

Will do. Thank you for your thoughts!