How can I get a smoky, rich molasses taste in my chili & avoid over-sweetening it? Adding tomatoes & cayenne isn't helping..

asked by @K_Stokes_Smith almost 6 years ago

ChefOno

Some options for smoke: Liquid smoke, some types of dried chilies, smoked paprika.

Molasses is available in different grades with different sugar contents. Try one labeled "Robust" or "Full Flavor".

Kirstin Stokes Smith

Thank you! I've been using Fancy molasses -- the sweetest of them all. :P Going to the store NOW to pick up something with less sugar content. Will start with this change and go from there..

Kirstin Stokes Smith

Thank you! Another excellent idea -- can't wait to try it.

healthierkitchen

I go with drbabs and the chipotle chiles! In my chili I balance them with a little cocoa powder and a little Vermont maple sugar.

healthierkitchen

I also add dark beer to my chili which adds richness without sweetness - you can thicken it with a corn masa paste rather than tomato paste - which adds a great flavor and less sweetness. And yes - along with everyone else - chilis, chili powder, unsweetened cocoa

healthierkitchen

Actually, I should have said that I use a chipotle chile in adobo sauce and some of the sauce - I think the sauce adds to the smokiness!

Kirstin Stokes Smith

Reporting that the ROBUST molasses made a big difference. After tasting it, my mom suggested a longer, slower cooking time -- she cooks hers for up to 8 hours and it's amazing. Thank you everyone for your insights -- looking forward to trying everything out!