🔕 🔔

ISO Chinese cookbook recommendation.

asked by Summer of Eggplant over 4 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I've had this one for decades.
http://www.amazon.com/The...

It's was quite the 'bible' for American Chinese cooking back in the day. However it's is rather dated and seems to fill with just simple variations of a dish. And as one reviewer put it..a lot has changed in what we expect from a modern cook book.

Now if you want to go Japaneese as an option I highly recommend
"Japaneese Cooking A Simple Art". Even tho it's 25 years old..the photos, instructions and scope of the book is outstanding, approaching Julia Child Level for a reference for Americans; a "must have" IMHO in any collects.

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese...

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

Try Grace Young's "The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen". I feel Grace's recipes are more consistantly accurate and traditional and she gives lots of wisdom and insight into home-style Chinese cooking. http://www.amazon.com/The...

Couple of good ones we have enjoyed cooking from: China Moon cookbook by Barbara Tropp; Susanna Foo Chinese Cuisine by Susanna Foo.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I love Grace Young's Stir-frying to the Sky's Edge and Kylie Kwong's Simple Chinese Cooking.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

If you can find a copy of Irene Kuo's The Key to Chinese Cooking, grab it. The last I looked, it was out of print. In addition to recipes, it has sections on technique. I got mine through Amazon's used book site. It's fun to acquire cookbooks that way; mine has all kinds of emendations by the original owner.