🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cheddar Jalapeno Beer Bread

56ba4f70 2c85 4a3e 9a71 3e7155e998e5  imag1476

I have a question about the recipe "Cheddar Jalapeno Beer Bread" from KellyBcooks. I', curious/concerned about the 1/2 cup butter in this bread. What purpose does the butter serve? What does the bread miss without it?

asked by Irenehope over 4 years ago

I have not made this but I have made beer batter breads that don't call for a topping of butter. Since the bread itself does not rely on the butter, I think you are safe to cut it down--in half or even to 2 TBSP--although it won't be as rich as the headnote describles.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I haven't made it, but it looks like it's to change the texture of the crust and to add flavour. You could possible go without, but if you aren't a big fan of butter, you could cut it half and half with a mild oil like olive oil or a more stable-when-baking-at-high-heat oil like sunflower or grapeseed. You probably won't need as much total oil/butter as they recommend, maybe about 2/3rds as much. Might need to add a small pinch of salt to give it a better flavour.

You will still get the butter flavour and much of the butter texture if you cut the butter with oil. Personally, I would keep the butter but it really depends which school of thought you subscribe to (animal fat = healthy, or vegi oil = healthy). But that's a really long discussion for somewhere else.

1/2 cup of butter is only 4 ounces. The presence of any fat in bread is twofold. (1) Fats are great conveyors of flavor. Most of the molecules that transfer flavor are fat-soluble. Think about it: fat-free food has no taste beyond sweet or salty, two famous flavors that are water-soluble. (2) Fats tenderize proteins across the food spectrum. In breads specifically, they create a tender, pull-apart texture. If you are afraid of butter, substitute olive oil, which will also contribute nicely to the flavor profile.

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

With all that cheddar in it,why would you worry about a little butter?If in fact you don't like butter,olive oil does sound good,but if the problem is the fat factor...live a little!