A question about a recipe: Patricia Wells' Green Lentil Salad

I have a question about the recipe "Patricia Wells' Green Lentil Salad" from Genius Recipes. Has anyone made these using chicken broth instead of water? I absolutely love lentils and will make these tomorrow.

59243292 b2f7 4354 b150 9badfe510895  8358321043 c9e891d80a z
Recipe question for: Patricia Wells' Green Lentil Salad

Voted the Best Reply!

Nancy Harmon Jenkins
Nancy Harmon Jenkins January 16, 2013

I respectfully suggest sticking with the recipe. If the lentils are high quality (tiny green ones from Le Puy, tiny gray ones from Castelluccio in Umbria), you want the flavor of the lentils to shine through and not be disguised by the flavor of chicken broth, even your finest home-made chicken broth. Save the broth for a risotto instead.

luvtocook10
luvtocook10 January 16, 2013

Thank you, good point.

darksideofthespoon
darksideofthespoon January 16, 2013

I used water, it was simply divine. Chicken broth might make it taste like something it shouldn't, if that makes any sense.. Good luck, I know you'll enjoy it! My husband and I ate this recipe (1lb of lentils!!!) in 2 days.

Greenstuff January 16, 2013

Lentils in chicken broth are delicious, but not as a salad. One alteration I sometimes make is replacing the olive oil with walnut oil (or maybe just adding a little). It smells wonderful when you pour it onto the warm lentils.