A question about a recipe: Beef Bourguignon

27d4383f df84 4ee9 a804 c5d613cbf810  2017 1201 mfc beef bourguignon 3x2 julia gartland 058

I have a question about the recipe "Beef Bourguignon" from TasteFood. is there a substitute for cognac in this recipe? (don't have any on hand)...

asked by laurakelso almost 6 years ago

nutcakes

If you don't have Brandy to use instead, I suppose you could use Vermouth, but you won't have quite the same flavor profile. Otherwise, pick another recipe to make this time --1/2 cup is quite a lot and it seems it wouldn't be the same without it.

Cognac is a type of brandy. You can use other brandy besides cognac. You could also substitute red wine or beef broth. It's not critical to use brandy as it's only 1/2 cup to deglaze the pan.

laurakelso

Thank you Nutcakes and Pegeen. I decided to persevere with a lovely Columbia Valley Cabernet on hand. Judging by the aroma now wafting from the oven, the bourguignon will still be a crowd-pleaser. Cheers!