A question about a recipe: Beef Bourguignon

I have a question about the recipe "Beef Bourguignon" from TasteFood. is there a substitute for cognac in this recipe? (don't have any on hand)...

27d4383f df84 4ee9 a804 c5d613cbf810  2017 1201 mfc beef bourguignon 3x2 julia gartland 058
Recipe question for: Beef Bourguignon

nutcakes
nutcakes January 21, 2013

If you don't have Brandy to use instead, I suppose you could use Vermouth, but you won't have quite the same flavor profile. Otherwise, pick another recipe to make this time --1/2 cup is quite a lot and it seems it wouldn't be the same without it.

Pegeen January 21, 2013

Cognac is a type of brandy. You can use other brandy besides cognac. You could also substitute red wine or beef broth. It's not critical to use brandy as it's only 1/2 cup to deglaze the pan.

Voted the Best Reply!

Pegeen January 21, 2013

p.s. It would be nice, but in my humble opinion you can make great boeuf bourgignon without cognac. Of the two, using some "decent" red wine in the recipe (something you wouldn't mind drinking) is more important.

laurakelso
laurakelso January 21, 2013

Thank you Nutcakes and Pegeen. I decided to persevere with a lovely Columbia Valley Cabernet on hand. Judging by the aroma now wafting from the oven, the bourguignon will still be a crowd-pleaser. Cheers!