A question about a recipe: The Elegant Hors d'Oeuvre's Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts

7a82c00e f563 4d2b be8b ef9a0dec25b4  food52 01 15 13 5859

I have a question about the recipe "The Elegant Hors d'Oeuvre's Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts" from Genius Recipes. I'm in Mexico, where water chestnuts are nowhere to be found. Do you think I could substitute jicama?

asked by MtIdaho over 5 years ago

Yes, I think you can. The jicama will retain its crunch when cooked.

MtIdaho

Thank you for that... I've never tried cooking jicama, so wasn't sure how it would hold up. I'm going to try the recipe as soon as I can track down some decent bacon, which is another challenge down here.

I've never tried cooking jicama, only eating it raw -- does it stay crunchy?

It might be a little on the sweet side so I'd go easy on the brown sugar, but just about anything would taste good wrapped up like this, so you should be fine!

yes it does stay crunchy. My mother sometimes puts jicama in her egg rolls for extra crunch.