🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos

461c417c 97e4 4549 8c5d 51590195c87c  pork tacos

I have a question about the recipe "Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos" from merrill. Can I substitute a pork loin roast for the pork shoulder here?

asked by fitsxarts almost 5 years ago

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

It looks like the recipe helps a lot to have a bit of fat in the meat. The recipe even goes so far as to describe the meat as 'not to lean'. Pork loin tends to be very lean.

If I wanted to use pork loin instead of shoulder in this recipe, I would add about 3 or 5 rashers (slices for those of you in the US) of bacon, chopped, and then use less salt.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

You can, yes, but you'll definitely want to cook it for less time, since loin is leaner than shoulder and could get tough. I'd check the meat frequently for tenderness and stop cooking it when you like the texture.