🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: State Fair Cream Puffs

D9572f28 90fe 41d7 82f3 107fae1ef2c8  food52 01 24 12 9856

I have a question about the recipe "State Fair Cream Puffs" from hardlikearmour. Has anyone ever tried mixing the dough in a Kitchen Aid instead of the food processor? I only have a mini food processor and there is no way the dough would fit in the bowl.

asked by irish1482 over 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Hopefully hardlikearmour will see this and weigh in but I don't think this dough can be made using the KA, its a choux and although she used her food processor to beat in the eggs (great idea BTW) I always make choux by hand. I can't imagine making it in the stand mixer, you couldn't use the whisk or dough hook and I don't think the paddle would work so IMHO you could just beat the eggs in by hand. Maybe someone has successfully used the stand mixer and will weigh in.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'm with sdebrango on this one. I'd mix the eggs in by hand instead -- once the flour, butter, water portion is done let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes then beat the eggs in one at a time with a wooden spoon. Each egg needs to be fully incorporated before adding the next. I'd probably add the white after adding at least one of the eggs.

95e7038a 3aa4 4398 934c 6b4f82d83f50  fb avatar

I use my Kitchenaid for this all the time. Use the paddle attachment. It makes quick work of the eggs!

I've seen this done with the dough hook, though when I make choux, I usually do so by hand.

5092d137 4f35 43f9 8967 1b2e5ab15a15  open uri20130104 6994 uu5d46 0

The paddle attachment on a stand mixer is the best way to mix in the eggs for pate a choux. Using a whip will contribute air to the choux which is not appropriate. A food processor could work provided you do a quick pulse for each egg and scrape well after each egg addition. By hand is the hard way, but certainly doable. It builds muscles!

Thats really good to know, I never thought a stand mixer would work.