I am making roast duckling and want to know how to partially cook it and then complete the cooking closer to when it will be served?

asked by Lynne Rothenberg over 3 years ago
Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I'm puzzling through this one -- I'm not sure it is ever good to "par-cook" a meat/protein. There are so many food safety issues, as well as "degree of difficulty" to get it right. On the food safety issue, you would want to make sure you got the meat into the "safety zone" (so at least 140 -- which is almost completely cooked for poultry), then cool it below 40 for the interim, then reheat til completely cooked. That last part -- heating from less than 40 degrees to fully cooked would seem likely to compromise the otherwise excellent dish. Maybe another choice would be to fully cook, chill, and "reheat" (gently, well wrapped in foil or similar to prevent drying) or even microwave to desired temp. If it is a time crunch kind of thing, maybe rethink the meal so it isn't roast duckling, but pan seared duck breast (a very quick prep)? You could even butcher the duck, roast all parts except the breast. Chill everything. Reheat/microwave the non-breast pieces, and pan sear the breast. Serve.

Having said all that, I'm interested to learn if others have successful (and food borne illness safe) "tricks" for par-cooking meat.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Partially cooking poultry is definitely a food safety hazard.

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

I agree with ChefOno on this one. Partially cooking poultry is an altogether bad idea. Cook it through and rewarm if necessary.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

You could make peking duck. In which the duck is scalded and coated with soy, sugar, malt/honey, ginger anise, lemon peel..etc. And hung to dry for 5-6 hours and then roasted until the skin is crispy. The flavor is in the skin and the duck is dried until the skin is paper dry--and then cooked.