A question about a recipe: Leek Risotto

D6acbcbd d458 4cf6 9779 96966837e314  food52 01 22 13 7435

I have a question about the recipe "Leek Risotto" from nicolecooks. Would it be total sacrilege to make this (or any other risotto) with a short grain brown rice?

asked by ceeteebee over 5 years ago

ZombieCupcake

I love brown rice, sub it for any rice recipe... I got your back :)

Absolutely not! It will make the recipe taste better. The texture will be a bit chewier, but to my mind, that will improve the dish, too! Go for it. ;o)

I agree with both Zombie Cupcake and Antonia James, I make risotto with Riso Vignola which is similar to arborio rice only it's whole grain brown rice and it's delicious.

I use riso vignola as well, and love it. I takes a bit longer to cook, and requires a bit more stock - probably 4 to 8 ounces more, and perhaps an additional 10 minutes. And leftovers will, as with all risottos, set up quite firm, so be prepared to use additional stock to reheat it. Buon appetito!

ceeteebee

Thanks, everyone!

smslaw

It'll be fine, but the brown rice will take longer to cook, so plan accordingly.

BoulderGalinTokyo

And add a little more broth/ liquid than whatever recipe you make-- it'll be delicious!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

sdebrango makes a VERY important point with Riso Vignola. In my experience, not every brown rice will behave like arborio. I had some pretty sad results with "generic" brands.

Yes, so true; you want a brown rice that sort of looks like arborio -- chubby and short-grained -- which will soften up and provide the starch you need to get a good sauce. ;o)

nancy essig

I like to use Barley instead of rice all together

I often make "risotto" with millet. But my Italian purist friends remind me it's not really risotto without the rice. It is, however, really delicious.

nancy essig