A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Brown Rice Jambalaya-ish

2b0d54eb 0f58 4c67 af26 b355e5d63608  food52 01 10 12 7145

I have a question about the recipe "Brown Rice Jambalaya-ish" from healthierkitchen. Whatnis a common name or brand for "Turkish chili paste" I would like to buy some.? Thanks, nt

asked by ntt2 over 3 years ago

It is most likely a paste made from Aleppo chilis. Aleppo chilis are mild and do not add too much heat. You can find them at Penzey's.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Hi ntt2 - the paste I have is "Mis" brand and I bought it at a local shop that sells Greek and Turkish products. It says "hot" on the label, but is fairly mild. I do not know this online company, but this is like my jar (http://www.yiyelim.com...) I think it is paprika based, which might be different than Aleppo pepper. I originally bought it for a Turkish soup, but i really like the flavor so I sometimes experiment with it. I love Aleppo pepper too, and definitely recommend getting some if you're in Penzey's or a Mediterranean market!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I just stumbled on a recipe which includes a DIY 'red pepper paste' which might be what you need. In the comments someone suggested 'ajvar' as a prepared alternative (which I have found in a chain outlet store -- delicious). The recipe is characterized as Armenian. http://www.thekitchn.com... (The whole recipe looks worth making.)

That certainly seems similar, susan g! It's delicious stuff, and I don't like bell peppers!

According to the label on the Mis jar, you are using a hot red chili pepper paste. The Turkish idea of hot is not on the same level as the Asian concept of hot, thus, it can seem pretty mild.

Ajvar is made from red bell peppers, and is popular in Serbia and the Balkans. Ajvar is delicious as a dip for bread or condiment used at the table.

Bell peppers and chili peppers are all cultivars of Capsicum annuum ( a cultivar basically means a group of plants bred by humans for specific characteristics). The difference between bell peppers and other cultivars, other than size of the peppers, is that bell peppers contain practically no capsaicin, the substance which gives chili peppers their heat.