A question about a recipe: 1975 Dick Taeuber’s Brandy Alexander Pie

Cb9a7bec da5e 4f83 b89a 18adae3d2224  2016 0912 dick taeubers brandy alexander pie alpha smoot 291 1

I have a question about the recipe "1975 Dick Taeuber’s Brandy Alexander Pie" from amanda. I have a pregnant friend who LOVES (or rather, loved, in her pre-pregnancy days) Brandy Alexanders. Is there any way I could produce a non-alcoholic version of this for her?

asked by ncindc over 5 years ago

ZombieCupcake

Don't know if this is horrible for me to say but there is less then what is consider a drink per serving (.67 oz). Now I will also say don't know being ignorant to it being a guy and its been almost 4 years since I have had to worry about that.

ncindc

I understand that it is not a lot of alcohol, but it's still more than she wants to consume during her pregnancy. That's why I asked for a non-alcoholic version.

You could boil the cognac and creme de cacao. That will remove almost all of the alcohol, it's impossible to remove 100% I have heard, but after boiling the liquor and brandy almost all of it will be gone.

http://www.chow.com/food...
The longer you boil the more alcohol is burned off, but there could still be 5% left which might be troublesome for someone who is pregnant. Cognac is very distinct, it's easy to replicate the cocoa flavor from the creme de cacao but the brandy or cognac is more difficult to replicate, there is rum flavoring but I am not sure if there is a non alcoholic brandy flavoring available.

Yes, you could look around for a non-alcoholic brandy, or instead use some kind of herbal infusion (if you're ok with not replicating the flavor exactly); otherwise I'd ask her if she's ok with going for the burning off the alcohol route.