🔕 🔔

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Yes

They're practically mandatory.

Yes! If you're not ready to make stock, you can freeze them for when you are ready.

Another 'yes' here. Cooked gizzards have always been a chef's treat in my mother's kitchen (mine too).

Not only okay, they're wonderful to eat after they've cooked in the soup!

261aa0df 1c82 4ea9 a1d0 2284398562fe  andrea nguyen 2016b cropped credit genevieve pierson common thread creative
Andrea Nguyen

Andrea is a cooking teacher, food writer, contributing editor at Rodale's Organic Life, and a cookbook author; her latest book is The Banh Mi Handbook.

Of course! I eat the cooked gizzard and heart with salt, pepper and lime juice. I also nibble on bits like the oyster from chicken backs. Liver in stock? It lends an odd flavor so no on the lobes.

How are you using the stock? I ask because if you will still be able distinctly to taste the stock itself, e.g., in a traditional chicken noodle soup, may I respectfully suggest that you make sure the people eating it are not going to mind (if you care about such things). The gizzards will profoundly affect the taste of the stock. And if ever there were a divider food, gizzards would be it. Some people love them. Others (and I am among them) don't care for the taste at all, and although I would never say anything if served such a soup, I'd wish you'd left them out. ;o)

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I am with AJ on this one. I can also taste gizzard, liver and heart in a stock and do not use them.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Never liver in the stock. I think that's almost universal. I would have said absolutely yes to gizzard and heart if AJ and SKK hadn't chimed in.

Yeah, I have to wonder if the people who don't like gizzards had stock that had liver in it - liver is known to give the stock a funky flavor. I've never noticed anything odd from the rest of the gizzards, though. Just more yummy chicken flavor.

I have tasted stock made with just the heart and gizzards, and not the liver, so I can affirm that the problem does lie with the gizzard and heart. What's a "yummy chicken flavor" to some is a "Bleeh, did you really have to?" to others. ;o)

As a child when visiting my grandmothers, I was involved with butchering the bird for dinner. When I look at the purpose of the gizzard in a bird, it is like a filter for what the bird has eaten. The gizzard has the stones that grind, which to me give that mineral taste. Don't know why I don't care for the heart, and it may also be that is muscle which pumps and filters.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

carcass in the stock, organs in the dirty rice. At least in my kitchen!