🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Tender Yellow Cake

8233d0d2 1e57 4cdd adf8 a0bc74724a6d  tender yellow cake

I have a question about the recipe "Tender Yellow Cake" from sdebrango. Can I substitute sunflower/safflower oil for the canola oil in this recipe? Would sunflower oil make the cake taste better or worse?

asked by scotrotsios over 4 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I just made this cake yesterday! I used vegetable oil. I am not sure about safflower oil, I think any flavor in the oil will carry through to the cake because it is quite delicate, so you want to stay very neutral. By the way, it is excellent with the icing from sdebrangos Texas Sheet Cake ...

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I use sunflower oil in baking all the time. I think it yields better results than Canola oil, and I've never been able to taste any difference. I wouldn't use a super expensive sunflower or safflower oil, that seems like a waste to me. I tend to save the premium oils for salad dressings and use the more refined for baking.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I'm also thinking that a decent quality olive oil would make a lovely cake, although then it would be a distinctly olive oil cake. But an olive oil cake goes wonderfully with roasted strawberries drizzled with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar ;)

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am with ChefOno on the smell of heated canola. It turned me off from using canola for any purpose. I generally use sunflower instead.