A question about a recipe: Pickled Ramps

I have a question about the recipe "Pickled Ramps" from amanda. does the half pound refer to the weight of the bunch before trimming, or the weight of what you have leftover after trimming?

• Posted by: kat3029
  • April 28, 2013
89702629 ecca 4191 9142 48f72161b57d  4524591561 8ca25e59e6 o
Recipe question for: Pickled Ramps

petitbleu
petitbleu April 29, 2013

Looks like the recipe is calling for 1/2 pound ramps before trimming. I don't know how the ramps that you buy are packaged, but the ones we get here are often sold or kept with big clumps of dirt around the bulbs. If your ramps have a lot of dirt on them, I would clean that off before weighing them.

Andrea Nguyen
Andrea Nguyen April 29, 2013

It all depends on how the ingredient line is written. If the instructions include cleaning the ramps then the assumption is that the weight is for the unprepped bunch. If the ingredient line reads "8 ounces trimmed ramps" then I'd buy 2 bunches and back into the weight. As Petitbleu noted, consider the dirt on the bulbs too!