A question about a recipe: Buckwheat Crepes with Brie + Honey Sauteed Swiss Chard

I have a question about the recipe "Buckwheat Crepes with Brie + Honey Sauteed Swiss Chard" from CarolineWright. How do you swirl a pan while pouring crepe batter? Having trouble visualizing.

Voted the Best Reply!

petitbleu
petitbleu May 1, 2013

Basically, what I do is I pour 1/3 cup batter or so (depends on the size of your pan), then I tilt the pan to get the batter to cover the surface of the pan. I don't pour and swirl at the same time. It's like second nature once you start doing it.
More crepe wisdom: the first crepe is pretty much a lost cause (as with most pancakes), so don't sweat the first one. Have your pan hot enough (just over medium heat seems to work for me, but your stovetop will be different). You'll need to grease your pan--otherwise, those suckers will give you grief. Also, don't be afraid to try your hand at flipping the crepe by flicking the pan. You'd be surprised at how easy it is, and it makes you feel like a superstar.

pierino May 2, 2013

There is actually a small specialised tool designed to push the batter to the edges of the pan. The French can think of everything crepe.

Linn
Linn May 2, 2013

Practice. All of the above plus patience and practice. That is the advice from my Tantot Briec who taught me to make my first creeps.

Linn
Linn May 2, 2013

Oops! That is what I get for trying to think at 5am. That is the advice from my Tantot Briec who taught metro make my first CREPE.

Reiney
Reiney May 2, 2013

Yeah, it's more of a tilt, in various directions, than a swirl - the idea is that you only pour in enough batter to evenly coat the surface of the pan. Any more and you're making pancakes.