🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Peaches with Creme Fraiche, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and Nutmeg

79a12099 1f9e 4cea ba23 7d139cb8221e  072709f 0002

I have a question about the recipe "Peaches with Creme Fraiche, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and Nutmeg" from merrill. what is crème fraîche and where do i get it

asked by sofia over 4 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Creme fraiche is like sour cream, only less sour. You can find it at most grocery stores, usually in the gourmet cheese section. For this dish, you definitely substitute with sour cream in a pinch.

Merrill is correct in her advice to look for it in the cheese department as opposed to dairy. Depending on where you live, you could also substitute "crema" which is a Mexican/Salvadoran style sour cream.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I would try making my own crème fraîche if I were you. It's easy (and if you live in a rural area, it'll be a lot less expensive than tracking down the real stuff). Just take heavy cream, add buttermilk (2 tablespoons buttermilk to 1 cup cream), and let it sit at room temp, covered, until it starts to smell a bit sour and thickens up. This can take up to a couple days depending on the temp.