🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Pumpkin Christmas Bread

Bb94d768 e4c9 40e5 8884 593831942eb3  pumpkin christmas bread

I have a question about the recipe "Pumpkin Christmas Bread" from mrslarkin. has anybody tried honey as a substitute for some of the granulated sugar?

asked by adele93 over 4 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I haven't, but I think if you try it, you may have to increase the flour. It's a really wet recipe-- it's delicious-- but when I've made it, it has sunken in the middle after baking-- I think I have a comment about that somewhere in the comments section. It's delicious, though, either way.

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

I love subbing sugar for honey. I haven't made that recipe, though. The only advice I can offer is to be careful when adding the honey as it is heavier than sugar. If you're baking by volume (ie. cups), add less. Weighing your ingredients would be the best way to go and you can even look up sugar vs honey weights on Mr. Google. Good luck!

Honey contains approximately twice the "sweetness" of sugar, so let that be your guide in replacement. Too, it is acidic, so you'll need to add baking soda to neutralize the acid, or the rise won't be as good; the ratio is 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 8 ounces of acidic ingredient.

I don't know why you can't. I haven't made that recipe yet, but quick breads are generally pretty forgiving. When I sub honey for the sugar, I use half as much. Honey is sweeter than sugar. You also may need more flour (or other dry ingredient) to compensate for the extra wetness.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Here's the info from Cook's Thesaurus for substituting sugar for honey, so just reverse what it says: If baking, for each cup of honey, substitute 1 1/2 cups of sugar, increase a liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup, and reduce the baking soda (if used) by 1/2 teaspoon.

12dbeb9e 8eab 4169 8c67 927d657907f7  stringio

thanks so much for all the great advice