A question about a recipe: Succotash

Ac65f58f 1168 4273 88a7 52f33d8fb4df  dscf1639

I have a question about the recipe "Succotash" from thirschfeld. I love okra but hate the slime. I'm intrigued by this method of "removing the slime". After sauteeing in butter, is the slime no longer noticeable? Oh, if only my mother had known about this!

asked by lilroseglow over 5 years ago

former Community Editor

I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer to your question yet lilroseglow. You can always try sending a direct message to thirschfeld too!

It seems that all okra needs is a quick fry to keep the slime at bay. The recipe attests to this. Cook it longer and the slime gets activated. http://www.npr.org/blogs...

mensaque

My mom's okra is great...she's the expert here,and according to her the thing with okra is that you should have them well dried before cooking them and add a dash of lime juice or vinegar,it helps too.