🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: English Muffins

B71e89b9 d8a5 4baa 9387 bc16505aa2a1  english muffins

I have a question about the recipe "English Muffins" from Christina Tosi. The recipe calls for 1 2/3T Kosher salt. I know there is a big difference between the various brands of kosher salt, can you specify the kind or give the weight of salt ? Thanks

asked by Clcooks about 4 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I looked it up in her cookbook, but she doesn't specify a brand. I'd use Diamond Crystal kosher salt-- it tastes less salty than Morton's and 1 3/4 T is a lot of salt.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

And to add to what Dr. B said, keep in mind that kosher salt is a mined salt. It's used in the process of "koshering", it doesn't mean it's blessed by a rabbi. Another alternative is to use a coarse sea salt, at least for better flavor. And yes, 1 3/4 tbs is a lot of salt.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you use another salt, try 1/2 the amount given. The kosher salt may be indicated to dissolve quickly, so standard table salt or finely ground sea salt would be my preference.
For Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, 1 2/3 Tb has 5600 mg sodium; it weighs 14 g. French Atlantic Sea Salt, in 14 g (this one weighs 1 g per .25 tsp -- other salts will vary), has 4620 mg sodium and measures 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 tsp.
How much salt is needed for proper yeast activity? How much for
flavor? At the lower sodium number, each piece has 192.5 mg sodium -- is that OK?
I wonder why the amount of sodium differed by weight? I thought it's supposed to be closer, but this is how the labeled numbers worked out.

1dcc7c21 a794 442f 8a5f 1be76ddd7b94  you doodle 2017 02 12t14 57 20z

Yes, different salts occupies different volumes.
1 teaspoon flake salt (Penzey's) weighs 2.9 grams
1 teaspoon coarse salt (Kosher) salt weighs 4.8 grams
1 teaspoon table salt weighs 6.0 grams
My preference is always weight in preference to volume measure. But to weight salt, you really need a scale that weighs to the milligram; my digital scale can't do that. I am tempted, but can not justify the cost or the counter space for a specialty scale. Hope you find the values above useful.